Updated on October 3rd, 2023
Table of Contents
San Diego auto theft lawyer needed for you or a loved one charged ?
Getting an experienced San Diego auto theft attorney free consultation and representation is a smart move when accused of any type of auto theft crime in the city or county.
A free consultation with an auto theft lawyer will allow you get your story heard and learn about your case defense options.
And by retaining an aggressive and skilled San Diego criminal law firm you will have someone protecting your right and working to get your case dropped or sentence reduced.
The good news is that we can connect you with a San Diego auto theft lawyer for a free consultation at no extra cost to you.
San Diego Auto Theft Lawyer, Law, Defense Strategies, Free Consultation, and More
Below are some important information regarding auto theft cases that will give some basic ideas of the laws, what an attorneys can do for you, speaking to one, etc.
Why You Need A Private Lawyer Representation
You think that not having a private and representing yourself or going with public defender is best. We don't recommend that.
Here are why you need an attorney for auto theft case.
- Criminal lawyer knows the prosecutors and thus more likely to workout a deal. This might lead to your case even filed or see court time
- The have access to professionals and experts that can help you if your case goes to trial
- They have the resources to find evidence that will work in your favor
- The law can be treacherous and confusing but a skilled criminal lawyer that handle auto theft cases knows these laws and the strategies to present them for your defense( knowing the law is one thing but knowing the strategies to present them in your favor is another)
- Time they will save you time so you can focus on other aspects of your life
Some Auto Theft Lawyers Offer Payment Plans & Financing
Money is always one of the biggest concerns when people want to hire a private lawyer for auto theft case defense.
The good news is that a lot of attorneys offer affordable payment plans.
Direct Attorney Payment Plan
For example, if your case retainer fee is 4000, the law firm might ask for $500-$1500 upfront. And then put you on a monthly plan for $300-$500 for the reminder.
Criminal Defense Financing(Loan)
Auto theft defense financing is basically a loan that you get with third parties that specializing in financing legal cases.
Such companies are:
Auto Theft Laws
In San Diego, auto theft law are based on the California Penal Code, Part 1, Title 13, Of Crimes Against Property, Chapter 5, Larceny Theft, Section 487
The charges for this crime is a "wobbler." The is because it can be charged as either a misdemeanor or felony.
The law basically penalizes some for:
- Taking a car worth $950+
- Taking the car without permission
- Taking the car and moving it to a different location
- Depriving the owner of their right to enjoy it
Carjacking (Penal Code 215 PC)
Penal Code 215 provides that carjacking is the felonious taking of a vehicle in the possession of another, from his or her person or immediate presence, or from the person or immediate presence of a passenger of the vehicle, against his or her will and with the intent to either permanently or temporarily deprive the person in possession of the vehicle of his or her possession, accomplished by means of force or fear.
Carjacking is punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for three, five, or nine years.
Possible Defense Strategies Your Lawyer Can Use
The right auto theft lawyer when hired can use the below defense strategies for your San Diego auto theft crime case.
- You are being wrongfully accused
- The owner of the car gave you permission to use it
- You were not read your rights properly during the arrest
- File motions to suppress evidence
- You mistakenly entered the care thinking it was yours
San Diego Auto Theft Attorney Free Consultation Is Next Step
If you or someone you know has been charged with auto theft or a related offense, contact us today to be connected with legal professionals experienced in the defense of auto theft offenses. Do you have questions or do you want to make an appointment? Call us at 619-493-1207 or use our contact form to speak with an experienced San Diego auto theft lawyer or grand theft attorney.